Tuesday, May 16, 2006

"Waiting to Soundcheck"


conte on grey paper, approx 33 x 25cm

A few weeks ago I wrote about a gig I did with the band, Fuse. Here's a quick sketch I did of some of the band members while we were waiting to soundcheck. Note the Mac powerbooks Gary and Lorenzo brought along with them. But hey, we knew it would be a long afternoon (that's why I brought my sketchpad, hehe). Apologies to Lorenzo on the far right - this doesn't look like Lorenzo! He kept moving around too much to catch him. I'm grateful to Kaleb and Gary for hanging longer in one spot.
I've always wanted to do a sketch or paint a series of Tokyo musicians.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! This is my personal favorite of your work.

It gives a feeling of having grown out of you. The spontaneity of the sketching experience has allowed the color, line and form to reveal themselves without the corruption of conscious overthinking.

I especially like the modeling of the faces in contrast to the much more loosely rendered suroundings. As an artist, I greatly appreciate that single dark line that defines the transition from horizontal to vertical around the edge of the tabletop.

It seems to have come from that deep creative place that we all strive to tap into. Your Mojo was cookin'. Very nice!

Steve

9:45 AM  
Blogger Julianne said...

Hi Steve,
Thanks for visiting this little neck in the woods. I appreciate your comments and the time you took to make them.

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home