Sunday, May 28, 2006

Thursday night

It's been awhile, so I thought I'd just post a coupla quickies here. These were done last week in my short breaks at a hotel gig. Cartridge sumi ink and water, 20.3 x 12.7cm (8 x 5") cold pressed watercolor paper .





This was from the week before, slightly larger, paper not quite as nice....



My experiments continue with the sumi brush pens and waterbrush. Finally starting to get the hang of it. I like the latest watercolor pad I'm using on the first two sketches, definitely the best paper I've tried so far. With these brush pens I need to use paper that doesn't absorb the ink too quickly so that I can use the waterbrush to get decent gradations. If I was using a real sumi-e brush that could load multiple gradiations on the same brush, washi paper would be fine to use, but washi just doesn't work so well with this portable setup.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julianne,

I thought the first post of your quick life drawings might be just happy accidents. These new ones prove that something closer to SKILL has developed from your hard work. Not surprising considering the work ethic you bring from your music.

I'm surprised at the clarity I see in these quick works. The first places the two firgures in a well defined space. This is accomplished with an excellent composition and a sense of perspective defined by minimal liniar elements and form values. There is also a wonderful aesthetic quality - a conversational intimacy between the two figures. The wine glasses (flutes) are a nice touch.

In the second drawing, I'm amazed that I can see the race/ethnicity of the figure in the foreground. Shoot me if I'm wrong - Japanese.

Have you given any thought to using this approach to develop more finished pieces? Maybe take along a small digi camera for color notes. Forgive me for prodding.

Can't wait to see more!

Steve

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange - there were only two sketches displayed when I first commented. Now there are three. So, my reference to the second sketch is actually the third sketch.

Steve

9:10 PM  
Blogger Julianne said...

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure why you didn't see the second pic before, it was always there. Hmmm, computer or website glitch?
Third sketch: yep. Japanese.
To answer your question, actually no, the thought of developing these further has never occurred to me. (And no, you're not prodding, far from it, I appreciate your interest and have high regard for your point of view). I really only have 5-10 mins when doing these kinds of sketches, so I've never thought of them more than what they are - fun to do, and good training to help me see better as well as try and hone in on capturing some kind of essence. I would love to be able to take a lightweight oil kit with me and do small oil sketches in cafes, etc.
Anyway, thanks for dropping in again!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home