Thursday, September 21, 2006

Candela farewell gig sketches

About a month ago I went to a farewell gig for longtime friend/musician, Robbie Belgrade, who has gone back to San Fran with his family after 18 years in Japan. The evening was a real blast. It's always great to see Candela live, and it was a joy to sit in with them and even jam on one of my originals with them and the other great musicians who sat in that nite. It was also just nice to see and hang out with a bunch of musician friends who I usually don't see unless I'm working with them. I spent all my time sketching when I wasn't jamming on stage.

These are all done in a watercolour sketch book using Caran d'Ache Neocolor II watersoluble wax crayons and a waterbrush. I love this medium for stealth sketching. It's so nice to be able to use colour with the waterbrush.

Andy Bevan hitting it on flute



Mark Tourian and his beloved bass



Robbie, the man himself, chopping out on the tablas.



Robbie on bass clarinet



Robbie on Riq (yeh, I know, the hands suck.......)



Chris Hardy, wonderful percussionist who I almost never get a chance to play with cos he's so busy.



Jonathan Katz chopping out on the pianica



Jonathan on piano - I still have to fix the colour temperature of the neck.




Bruce Huebner playing his unique brand of wild jazz shakuhachi - he moved very early on, so I couldn't finish it.


The only downside with the Neocolor crayons is that you can't really do lights over darks, I may eventually add a few light colored contes to the mix, or perhaps some of those Holbein water-soluble pastels. I do like how there's no dust mess to deal with while stealthing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Julianne,
These skteches of the band members are great...I like the color choices and the rapidly done look to the pieces. They are loose and that's something I need to always keep track of in my work. The quick sketch look to them gives them all a sense of movement.
Very cool work Julianne.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Julianne said...

Hi ron,

Thanks - haha, the "rapidly done look" is due to the fact that they're rapidly done! You never know when someone's going to move away or totally change their stance, so all I can do is work as quickly as possible.

Thanks for dropping by.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home